New Patient Care Tower and Renovations to John Dempsey Hospital
Fast Facts: New Patient Care Tower
Summary: Eleven floors, 169 beds and will include key patient areas such as the emergency department, surgery suite, and inpatient rehab space.
Estimated Cost: $318 million
Construction Schedule: 2012 to 2016.
Fast Facts: John Dempsey Hospital Renovations
Summary: Renovation to several departments and upgrades to utility and electrical systems.
Estimated Cost: $163 million
Construction Schedule: mid-2014 to early 2018.
New Hospital Construction
Bioscience Connecticut calls for the completion of previously approved plans to renovate the existing John Dempsey Hospital and construct a new patient care tower on the campus of UConn Health in Farmington.
The New Hospital Tower will include:
Eleven levels and will house key patient areas including the emergency department, surgery suite, MRI suite, renal dialysis, respiratory therapy, inpatient rehab (orthopaedics, rehab gym and workspace), clinical support, and patient education space. Support services located in the new tower will include central sterile processing and a new main lobby.
Construction will begin in 2012 and is expected to be completed in early 2016.
- 169 single bed inpatient rooms
- Expanded new Emergency Department
- 28 bed intensive care unit
- 29 bed step-down unit (cardiac and medical)
- 28 bed hematology/oncology unit
- 28 bed orthopedics/spine unit
- Two 28 bed medical-surgical units
- Site work: In addition to the normal site work for construction, existing site utilities including sanitary, storm, water, and electrical will be relocated during the initial construction phase to accommodate the construction of the new tower and parking facilities.
- The public garage will have 402 spaces including nine ADA compliant spaces. The staff garage will have 397 spaces including eight ADA compliant spaces.
Under Bioscience Connecticut, the new patient care tower and renovations to John Dempsey Hospital will provide the region with the most advanced health care technologies. In addition to state-of-the-art equipment and services, the projects are being designed to best meet the needs of our patients and their families. Learn more >
Renovations to the existing John Dempsey Hospital building will include:
- Construction to begin mid 2014 and to be completed in early 2018.
- Estimated cost: $163 million
- Replacements and upgrades to systems including heating, air conditioning, ventilation, plumbing and electrical systems
- Renovate the existing John Dempsey Hospital to allow several departments
to expand including:
- Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center
- Clinical Pathology Labs
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Inpatient Psychiatry
- Renovations to four vacated hospital floors for Clinical Support and Translational Research
- Clinical Support
- Clinical and Translational Research and Clinical Trials
Follow work on the Patient Care Tower construction. This is not streaming video but a snapshot; the views are updated every half hour. Want to see progress from the beginning? Click on the calendar.