To accommodate the exciting construction and renovation projects taking place on our campus through Bioscience Connecticut, several changes are being made to parking and shuttle services.
As construction is now complete on Parking Garage 3 (formerly referred to as the I Lot Garage), we now turn to the start of construction of the new hospital tower in May. In order to prepare for the start of construction, the Procedures Center entrance and the tiered parking deck must be closed. Patients, faculty, staff, and students will be affected by this closure.
For Patients and Visitors:
- Patients who are scheduled for an appointment with the Procedures Center will be instructed to use the free valet service at the Main Hospital Entrance. Parking will not be available for patients/visitors in Parking Garage 3.
- To better accommodate our patients and visitors with mobility impairments, ADA transportation vehicles are allowed to enter the circle near the Main Hospital Entrance to drop off patients. We are asking our clinical staff to notify their patients with mobility impairments of this change and to assist them when necessary with their transportation arrangements.
- Free valet parking is available for patients and visitors arriving at the main building from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please drive to the main hospital entrance to access this service.
- Free valet parking is also available for patients and visitors at the Medical Arts and Research Building (MARB), Farmington Surgery Center (FSC) and Administrative Services Building (ASB) on the Health Center’s lower campus, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. The free valet service will be located at the ground level entrance to the MARB.
For UConn Health Center Employees:
The following important parking changes take effect Monday, May 6.
Procedures Center and Tiered Parking Deck Closure
The Procedures Center entrance and the tiered parking deck will be permanently closed as of tonight to begin construction on the new hospital tower.
For Faculty, Staff and Students Displaced by the Closing of the Tiered
Individuals who park in the tiered parking deck area were asked to identify themselves by filling out and returning a parking registration form by Friday, April 5. As previously communicated, over 1100 parking registration forms were received.
New Parking Areas
Due to the closing of the tiered parking deck, Parking Garage 3 has been designated for staff parking only and additional parking spaces were leased by the Health Center at the following locations:
- 8 Two Mile Road
- 399 Farmington Avenue
- South Road
Individuals are being notified of their new parking assignment by email. The criteria for assignments are based on the individual’s work schedule, work site location, and the availability of shuttle bus transportation.
Due to the volume of parking registration forms that were received and the number of available parking spaces, we are unable to assign everyone to a new parking location. If you were not contacted with a new parking assignment, your name has been placed on a waiting list and you will be contacted when a parking space becomes available. Individuals who did not submit their forms by the April 5 deadline have also been added to the waiting list. Individuals who do not have a parking assignment should plan on parking in one of the open parking areas.
Open Parking Areas on Campus
As a reminder, open parking spaces are available to those individuals who do not have an assigned parking area. If an open parking space is not available on campus, please contact Public Safety, x2511 to obtain a parking assignment for the day. It is important to provide your vehicle information to Public Safety in order to avoid ticketing.
Open parking areas are designated on the parking campus map and include:
- Main Road: 82 spaces
- East and West Roads: 167 spaces
- Lots 1 & 2: 116 spaces
- Aux (dirt) Lot: 79 spaces
- Circle Road: 48 spaces
It is critically important that all individuals who have been assigned to a specific parking lot, park in their assigned parking areas every day. We are aware that many individuals are utilizing open parking spaces instead of parking in their assigned parking areas. The Health Center is incurring a considerable expense to lease additional parking spaces and provide shuttle transportation. All of our off-campus parking areas have signage indicating the location of the Health Center’s parking spaces. Cars that are parked illegally will be ticketed and fined accordingly.
New Bus Schedules
Due to the addition of new off-campus parking locations, effective Monday, May 6, the shuttle bus schedules have been revised. Please be sure to review the new schedules as some of the departure times have changed. The highlights include:
- Bus 1 – Main Line Service: This route will transport patients to our South Road offices from the Main Entrance. Patients will no longer have to access the Bus 2 – Munson Road shuttle to South Road from the Academic entrance.
- Bus 2 – Munson Road: Two new stops have been added to accommodate employee pick-up at South Road and 8 Two Mile Road.
- Bus 3 – 400 Farmington Express: An additional stop has been added at 399 Farmington Avenue.
- Bus 7 – Night Bus: An additional stop has been added at 399 Farmington Avenue.
The shuttle bus schedules are posted on the Public Safety website at: http://publicsafety.uchc.edu/administration/shuttle.html.
New Reallocation of Parking in Lots F, G & H (Lots near the Main
Lots F & G: As of Monday, May 6, parking lots F & G will be available for patient parking only. Staff will no longer be able to park in Lots F & G, including those with handicap parking tags. Individuals who have been utilizing the handicap parking spaces in this area must identify themselves by filling out a parking registration form. Once the form is received, they will be instructed where to park.
Lot H: As of Monday, May 6, Lot H will be restricted for staff parking. Only those individuals who are assigned to park in Lot H and have the appropriate sticker affixed to their rear windshield will be permitted to park in Lot H.
Attention Dowling North and Dowling South Staff
As many have noticed, the parking signs at Dowling North and Dowling South were rearranged late last week. These changes were made to optimize the ratio of spaces available to employees relative to spaces available to patients. The number of spaces available to patients is based on patient visit data recorded over the past several months.
- Parking hangtags will be issued for Dowling North employees today from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Academic Entrance.*
- Parking hangtags will be issued for Dowling South employees, who did not receive a hangtag during the January distribution, on Friday May 10, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in AG093.*
*If you are unable to pick up your hangtag, feel free to ask a co-worker or manager to pick it up for you. They will be required to sign for your hangtag. Please display hangtags prominently on your rear view mirror to avoid being ticketed.
We are aware the construction on campus is forcing us to make changes that may be inconvenient. Your continued patience is appreciated. Please be assured that we will continue to evaluate the changes and make necessary changes based on real-time data and feedback we receive from the Health Center community. As always, the Health Center community is encouraged to send suggestions and questions to the Bioscience CT email box.
For UConn Health Center Students:
- A shuttle service for medical and dental students is available between the Forest, the Glen and the academic entrance.
Please visit the Public Safety website for all shuttle bus schedules.